Wednesday, April 6, 2011

When correction tape doesn’t work

The first time I visited Williamsville Cemetery, I noticed some gravestones with small, square- or rectangle-shaped recesses, often “written over” by the inscription.

After two more visits, I (finally) realized what these rectangles might be: Corrections. A carving “typo,” maybe a slip of the stone carver’s tool or a simple misspelling, was chiseled out and the correction (or not) was carved in the newly blank spot.

Joshua Cummins (d. 1840)
Joseph Pool (d. 1849)

Arory S. Gibson (d. 1848)

Now I may be wrong, but these look like corrections to me. What do you think?

Williamsville Cemetery, Delaware County, Ohio

5 comments:

  1. It does indeed. I guess that is better than some of the horrible ones I've seen where no attempt was made. Today we would refuse to accept it and demand a replacement. Was that not an option back then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I have ever seen anything like this. Plenty of errors in the inscriptions, but, never a square taken out like that.

    Seeing that these were done within a 10 year time frame, and all in the same cemetery, I would suspect that they were all done by the same stone mason. Other than these errors, his work looks pretty good and well preserved considering the age.

    VERY interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! That must be what the stone mason did. I never saw anything like it before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen that before, but how interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...